Wednesday 16 November 2011

Typography

I have to consider what fonts I am going to use in my final piece and how this will effect the overall atmosphere of the film opening. I have looked at the typography used in other thriller film openings and have inferred what types of typography would be the most appropriate for my film opening. I will then take a shortlist of potential fonts and get feedback from my target audience as part of my market research.

According to my research, the type of fonts that appear conventionally in thrillers are those that look as if they have been scribbled, scratched or etched into the screen. This is because it gives connotations of desperation (as if someone has tried to scratch a message for example). This could also be because this kind of typography holds some childlike connotations which juxtaposes the image of thrillers being just for adults, therefore emphasising the creepy atmosphere that is generic to the thriller genre.

The types of typography that are conventional to the thriller genre, and therefore I will create to look similar to are as shown:


This typography shows the basic conventions of a thriller. It looks as if it's been scratched into the screen and therefore would be effective in creating the appropriate atmosphere for my film opening. However, I feel it's almost too generic, each film opening has to be unique and if I used this particular typography I don't believe it would be as successful as a font that wouldn't be expected or hadn't been seen before. There is also an issue in the fact that this font is all-capitals, I may come across a time where it would be more appropriate to use lower-case lettering and this font would not be able to achieve that, therefore limiting me in the production of my film opening. 

This typography is very similar to the previous font, it also looks as if it's been scribbled giving the child-like juxtaposition that is conventional to the thriller genre. This is better font because I'm able to have the choice between capital and non-capital lettering. A bad point about this font, however, is that the spacing between the letters might make certain words difficult to read- which may be problematic when my audience come to watch my film opening.

I like this font a lot because of the fact it looks much more scratchy than scribbly, therefore relating to the genre of thriller much more effectively. I think that the fact it looks as if someone has struggled to write it adds to the general atmosphere that I wish to create in my film opening. Again, with this font I do not have the freedom to choose between capital and non-capital lettering, however I think that all-capital lettering is quite effective in context (of my film opening).

I think that, although this font looks child-like and scribbled, it does not fit with the conventional style of a thriller. I don't think it would be as effective as previous fonts in creating an atmosphere that was eerie and left the audience in suspense- a feature that my market research told me I should focus on. I think that there are better alternatives in typography for this particular task.

This is a good font as it a bit more mature than the other 'handwritten' fonts I have look at so far, however it still keeps the creepy atmosphere, of which is conventional to the thriller genre. With this font I have the choice between capital and non-capital lettering, which will give me more flexibility in the editing stage of my film opening. The only issue with this font is that it isn't very bold, therefore it might not be seen quite as effectively as previous fonts. This may not be a problem for my particular film, however, due to the fact I am aiming for a very simple composition and therefore the typography will be one of the main focuses, as apposed to dialogue, characters, or action. I think this font will be effective overall. 

I like the fact that this font has the choice between capital and non-capital lettering, and also how it looks 'handwritten' (similar features to the first two typographies that were looked at). I think that the little cross in the letter O gives the font a unique quirk that could be used throughout the whole marketing and execution, which would give the film a distinctive quality that the target audience will relate to. I think that this is a very effective method and will work successfully in my thriller film opening. 

After researching particular fonts that would conventionally fit with the thriller genre, I have decided that the font I create will be simple, conventional to the thriller genre, not too 'child-like', however not hard to read. I think that the font I create will be similar to the 6th font I looked at in particular- however bolder and I would like for it to include a quirk as discussed in the last typography I looked at. I will use the software LiveType to create my font and make a separate post on the execution process of that. 




No comments:

Post a Comment