Thursday 17 November 2011

Location

I wish for my film opening to be shot in a small area with a non-carpeted floor. I also want the background to be basic (minimal furniture, light/pastel colours) so that my shot gives the impression of being in an isolated area. In order to shoot in the most suitable location I will have to research different areas and take test shots- this way I can ensure my final piece will be as successful as possible.


 This is the same location in both low and high key lighting. I really like the fact that there is a contrast between the dark floor and white wall. I also like the fact that it doesn't look to clean, adding to the isolation of the area. I think that this shot would be very successful in my final piece as it keeps the plot flexible- this could just as easily be an abandoned warehouse as it could a kitchen. There isn't very much space behind me however, so creating shadows and pouring the fake blood outside the shot might prove quite difficult.

 Although this is not the hand I wish to use, I wanted to see how a hand would look in the environment as it is so important to my final piece. I think in this particular location, the hand adds to the creepy isolation and would act as an effective asset to my thriller film opening.



 I love that it is very easy to create low key lighting in this location, and it would also be very easy to create movement shadows in the background that would add to the overall tension of the piece. There is also a lot of space to the side of me so that pouring fake blood would be really easy to do. I also like how the cupboard could be a door in the eyes of the audience, hinting at a plot where the "victim" tried to escape. Another positive thing about this location is that it's actually in my bedroom, therefore shooting can be as flexible as possible in terms of time management. The problem with this location however, is that the floor and cupboard are not as contrasting, and I really liked that about the last location. Although, the blood would show up better on this floor. I think that this would be the most successful location.

 Although I am adamant that I want to use a laminate flooring in my shot, I thought I'd try a carpeted floor just in case. The two main issues with this is that a carpeted floor doesn't provide the same connotations of isolation that is conventional of the thriller genre, and my mum wouldn't be happy with me pouring fake blood on our cream carpet.




These shots are about the actual positioning of the hand. I want the audience to assume that the "victim" is dead when the hand appears on the screen, and therefore the positioning is of upmost importance. The second two shots look more as if the "victim" is struggling, or is about to lift themselves up. Therefore, I think that the first shot is the most successful, if the hand is placed with the palm facing upwards I believe that would successfully imply the person in question is dead- especially when lying in a pool of blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment