Wednesday 16 November 2011

Age Ratings

I have decided to give my film an age 15 rating. This is because the genre of thriller will conventionally include scenes that are not appropritate for people under this age, however I will be able to appeal to a wider target audience than if my film was an 18 rating.
Because I have decided my film is a thriller, I've focused my research on particular asepcts and issues that would stereotypically be in thrillers (horror, violence etc), and how age ratings will effect this in my final piece.

After reading the BBFC website, I have come to the following conclusions about what I should/am allowed to include in my final piece (I have taken extracts from the webpage depending on what will be relevant to my final piece):

Horror: "Strong threat and menace permitted unless sadistic or sexualised" This means that I will not allow any sadistic or sexualised works in my final piece.
Violence: "Violence may be strong but not dwell on the infliction of pain or injury. The strongest gory images are unlikley to be acceptable. Strong sadistic or sexualised violence is also unlikley to be acceptable. There may be detailed verbal references to sexual violence but any portayal of sexual violence must be discreet and have a strong contextual justification." As a result of this, I will involve little, if any, violence in my final piece and ensure that gore is kept to a minimum.

Imitable Behaviour: "Dangeous behaviour (for example, hanging, suicide and self-harming), should not dwell on detail which should be copied. Easily accessible weapons should not be glamourised. As a result of this, I shall endevour to use little, or no, imitable behaviour at all in my final product.


No comments:

Post a Comment