Wednesday 30 November 2011

Typography in live type

As I now have a possible title for my film, I have been able to set myself a preliminary task that involves learning how to use the livetype software, and to experiment with different fonts that may or may not compliment my final piece. As I am aware little will be done in the way of editing my footage (excluding filters, ligthing effects, and the soundtrack however), the typography will be a specifically vital asset to my final piece. I wish to use a font that is unique to this film, and put into a real life setting could be used as part of a house style to support the marketing and promotion of the film.


This font, "A charming font", may work quite successfully in my film opening. However, I think that people would associate this kind of font more with the icons of horror (Vampires etc). I think that the purple works much better than the blue, however neither colour is suitable for my final piece as I think neither look professional enough to be suitable for my final piece. I think that making the 'T' a different colour may be an effective way to hint at a possible plot, however. Overall, I don't like this font or the colours used and I will not consider developing it for my final piece. I have also decided from evaluating these two fonts that I should limit or prohibit using colour in my fonts. My final font will be either black or white.
I prefer this font to the first font, however I think that if I were to use this font I would have to put a lot of editing into it to give it the look I want for my final piece. Using this font has confirmed my wish to use either black or white as the colour, I think that this will make my final piece look much more professional. I don't like the rounded corners in this particular font, I think that to give the proper connotations of fear and distress, my font will have to have edges- and preferably serifs.
I think that this is the most successful font so far. I like the fact that it looks as if it's been brushed onto the screen, and this connotation would fit with my genre of thriller. I also like the fact that this font has sharper edges, it looks much more professional.
On the other hand, I don't think that this font is unique enough to use as it looks now. I want a font that is easily distinguishable and can be transferred into marketing and the promotion of the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment