Wednesday 16 November 2011

Audience Research

In order to ensure that my idea will work as a successful thriller film opening, I will have to do some audience research. This will include stating a profile of a 'stereotypical' member of both my primary and target audiences, and then I will evaluate my work so far in order to successfully plan the contents of my film opening.

This is what my survey looks like, in order to get a wide variety of people completing it I posted a version on my facebook, as well as using survey monkey to ensure as many people as possible completed it. Overall, I got fifteen people to complete my survey.

Click here to take survey

The results of my survey are as shown:







As a result of this survey, I know that the majority of people over 15 enjoy thrillers, which supports my justification for producing a thriller film opening and having a target audience of people who are over 15.
Although it is only by a small amount, most of the people who answered my survey are male. This, again, supports the claim that the stereotypical target audience for thrillers are male, and therefore I will aim to make my final piece appeal to that group.
Another helpful point is that more people said they preferred suspense to action when watching thrillers. As a result of this, I will ensure that my film opening focuses on creating a tense atmosphere that engages with the audience rather than an action-focused piece.
The majority of people also said they enjoyed gore (realistic blood, guts, etc). I asked this question to establish whether it would be appropriate in terms of my target audience to use blood as a focal-point of my film opening, as this was an idea that was proposed in my pitch. Based on this particular set of results, I believe it would be a good idea to include the use of (fake) blood in my film opening- as long as it falls under the criteria of a 15 certificated film as explained in previous posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment